Veteran Students

CASC offers associate degrees designed to transfer to four-year degree-granting colleges and universities.

The Veterans’ Certifying Official is located in the Office of Admissions on the Poteau campus and is available to certify the veteran and veteran dependent education benefits.

Questions about VA Benefits

For questions about VA benefits, please contact either:

Carl Albert State College
Dee Ann Dickerson, Registrar/VA Coordinator

Department of Veteran Affairs
Muskogee Regional Office:
125 South Main Street,
Muskogee, OK 74401

CASC Assurance Statements

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Steps to Receive Veteran Benefits and Financial Aid

APPLY – online!
Veterans and their dependents must first apply for VA educational benefits using the VA on-line application tool ( and follow instructions on “How do I apply?”

Alternately, you can also apply:
>> In Person: Visit your the VA Regional Office located in Muskogee, Oklahoma to apply in person.
>> By Mail: call 1-888-442-4551 to have the application mailed to you.

The VA determines the eligibility of the veteran and dependent. The VA will notify the student by letter (letter titled “CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY” ) and specify eligibility details (chapter, VA file number, percentage  eligibility, dates, etc). Carl Albert will accept the eBenefits’s CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY document for Post 9/11 veteran recipients.

Students should deliver this letter to the VA Certifying Official. Once the student is admitted to the college and enrolled into courses, then, the VA Certifying Official will certify your enrollment to the VA and get your education benefits started!

Students are directed to the VA Coordinator’s office located in the Office of Admissions, Hemphill Hall, for admissions to the college and counseling on how to apply for VA Education benefits, degree planning, and student responsibilities. Prior enrollments and military education will be discussed. Enrollment can take place once evaluation is completed. the VA Coordinator will review course enrollment prior to certification to the VA for funding purposes.

eBenefits is the VA student’s web portal that helps the Veteran, Service members, and their families to access their personal information, check claims and payment history. Carl Albert will accept the eBenefits’s CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY document for Post 9/11 veteran recipients. For those who applied by mail or in person for VA Education Benefits, sign up today for your eBenefits account!

Carl Albert State College requires all veteran students to submit a copy of their military education record and transcripts from all colleges previously attended.

CASC evaluates the JST or Joint Services Transcript (Army, Coast Guard, Navy, or USMC)  for prior learning credits earned through military education and training, and grant credit as appropriate to the student’s degree. Veteran students may request their JST using the Department of Defense’s online  transcript ordering service: JOINT SERVICES TRANSCRIPT  (some browsers display a certificate error; if message appears, click on  “More Information” and then “Go On To Webpage”). 

Veteran students who were Air Force may order their Community College of the Air Force transcript either online or by written request [click onfor CCAF transcript ordering options].

Once the Certificate of Eligibility is received, the student should submit a copy to the VA Coordinator located in the Office of Admissions, Poteau Campus. Each semester, the student should contact the VA Coordinator after pre-enrollment who will verify student is enrolled into courses that apply to their degree and approved for VA funding and their funding term.

  • Chapters 35: dependent student must also provide full VA File Number of veteran with their letter of eligibility
  • Chapter 31: the VA VOC Rehab Counselor will email approval notice to VA Coordinator

Students can use CASC’s Net Price Calculator tool to receive an average cost of attendance that students similar to themselves paid in the given year. Students may also view published degree plans that lists an approximate cost of the program.

All students are encouraged to apply for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); they can view their award package and tuition & fees costs in their myCarlAlbert student portal. Financial Aid and EOC advisors counsel students on available aid and the cost of loans and repayment. To aid students in their college search and receive an estimate on GI Bill® benefits, the VA’s GI Bill® Comparison Tool offers students a way to compare college size, tuition & fee costs, VA benefits, ….

FAFSA Application
GI Bill® Comparison Tool
College Catalog

Student Responsibility

Students using VA education benefits are expected to understand VA rules that affect their funding and the academic policies that guide my degree completion and directly affect funding.

Students are responsible for:

  • submitting a CERTIFICATE of ELIGIBILITY to VA Coordinator and notifying the VA Coordinator they are admitted and enrolled.
  • notifying VA Coordinator each semester after pre-enrollment and request hours be certified
  • notifying VA Coordinator when courses are added or dropped, major is changed with the Office of Admissions and are taking classes under a new degree plan.

Student are expected to:

  • begin classes and successfully finish those same hours (dropping course hours or failing classes may result in over payments to the VA)
  • enroll in only those classes that are listed on your degree plan (when students enroll in classes not listed on their degree plan, the VA Coordinator will not certify those hours for VA funding)
  • know that remedial courses taught online (web) are not eligible for VA funding
  • be aware that courses may be offered for non-regular, short term dates; fall, spring, summer, winter interim, fall interim, 4 week, 8 week, etc classes are funded as separate terms for VA purposes.

Useful VA Education Links & Resources

Verify Enrollment

(last day of each month) For chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 call the number below.

Change of Direct Deposit

Change in your eBenefits Account. Click Below.

Useful VA Financial Aid Links & Suggestions

  • Questions? Veteran or student maycontact the Muskogee office at the Department of Veteran Affairs, Muskogee Regional Office, 125 South Main Street, Muskogee, OK 74401; or, 1-888-442-4551
  • The federal government offers the Pell Grant and other aid to which the student can apply online at These funds may be received along with VA funds.
  • CASC offers a range of scholarships to which students may apply through the Financial Aid Office .
  • Receiving TA Funds? Read our CASC — Return of Unearned TA Fund Policy May 2017.

Virtual Tour