Application & Process

General Eligibility Requirements:

*Enrolled as a regular student (enrolled to obtain a degree or certificate at CASC as declared by the Registrar’s Office).
*U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
*Registered with Selective Service, if required.
*Making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
*Have a High School diploma or GED.
*Have financial need according to the Department of Education (FAFSA).
*Not in default on a student loan.
*Have all official academic transcripts from previously attended colleges submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

Step 1: Free Application For Federal Student Aid

Your first step in determining your eligibility is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  While the most popular method of filing the FAFSA is by FAFSA on the Web, the application is also available as a Paper Application or PDF. You can find more information on these formats here. To start or renew your FAFSA online, visit the FAFSA Homepage.

*Please be aware that students required to submit parent information must have at least one parent sign their FAFSA. If applying online, your parent must have an FSA ID in order to sign your online application. If you or your parent do not currently have an FSA ID, you may get on here.*

IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Eligible parents and students are encouraged to use this tool to transfer tax data from the IRS to the FAFSA. It’s the fastest, easiest, and most secure method of meeting verification requirements. The IRS DRT is available within two to three weeks of electronically filing a return and available within six to eight weeks of mailing a paper return. Applicants who use the IRS Data Retrieval tool must not change the data transferred from the IRS.

IRS Data Retrieval Tool may not be available if:
Marital status has changed since filing the return.
If the parents or student is married and filed tax returns either as “head of household” or “married but filing a separate return”.
If an amended tax return was filed.
If the student or parent has been a victim of identity theft.
If the home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return.
If the parent or student did not indicate on the FAFSA that the tax return has been completed.
If the first three digits of the SSN are 666.
If the student or parent filed a Puerto Rican or non-U.S. tax return.
If neither married parent entered a valid SSN.
If a non-married parent or both married parents entered all zeros for the SSN.

*Be sure to list our federal school code (003176) on your FAFSA to ensure that we will receive your information for award processing. *

Educational Opportunity Center FAFSA
The CASC Educational Opportunity Center program serves adults in a seven county area of Eastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas. The program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education to provide assistance to qualified adults who want to enter or continue in a program of post-secondary education. An important objective of the program is to assist participants in applying for financial aid. CASC Poteau Campus hosts the main office with three satellites offices at Sallisaw, OK, Fort Smith, AR, and Van Buren, AR. Please call (918) 647-1396 for assistance.

Step 2: Your Student Aid Report

The results of your FAFSA are reported to you in the form of a Student Aid Report (SAR). Review your SAR carefully. Make corrections to any information that is incorrect.

Our office will review an electronic version of your SAR to see if additional or supplementary information is needed. If additional information is needed, a letter will be emailed to your CASC email requesting the necessary forms.

Step 3: Financial Aid Office

Once all required documents are submitted and verified our office will determine your award eligibility. Awards are based on an established cost of attendance (COA) and your expected family contribution (EFC). Award letters will be emailed to your CASC email account.

CASC does not automatically award students loans. If you are enrolled at least half-time and wish to receive a student loan, please go to the Required Documents page to print and complete the Student Loan Request form, and return it to our office. If our office determines that you are eligible for a student loan, you will receive an award letter with the amount you can borrow. If your loan need is zero and your EFC is greater than zero, you may still qualify for an Unsubsidized Direct Loan.

Before a loan can be disbursed, the awarded loan must be accepted or declined via VikeConnect or printed award letter. Enclosed with the award letter you will find instructions and any other documents needed for specific funds. In general, students receiving and Federal funds cannot receive aid greater than the Cost of Attendance.


Summer Financial Aid 

Summer financial aid is not automatically awarded.  Students planning to attend the summer 2018 semester must have a completed 2017-18 FAFSA and complete the Summer Financial Aid Application.  The application is listed under Required Documents, in the Other Documents category.

Some students may have received their annual maximum amounts during the fall and spring semesters and will not have any loans remaining for the summer semester.  Enrollment classification for the summer semester is the same as fall and spring.  Students requesting a student loan must be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours or more). Students who have received their annual maximum amounts in Pell and/or loans may still be eligible for SEOG and/or Federal Work Study.


Don’t Forget To

*Apply as soon as possible after October 1
*Use completed tax return information
*Sign your application
*Include yourself (the student) as part of the household or in college
*Report correct marital status for students and/or parents.


*DO NOT: Apply as a married student before you are married
*DO NOT: Incorrectly report parents marital status
*DO NOT: Incorrectly report income and assets of student, parents, or spouse
*DO NOT: Report taxes withheld from W-2′s instead of taxes paid from tax return
*DO NOT: Incorrectly report untaxed income